American Express is one of the few credit card families I feel comfortable recommending (Discover Card is another). One reason is American Express’ commitment to rewarding their card members with unique benefits and the other being their outstanding customer service.
American Express calls their customers “card members” and it affects the way they view their relationship with them. When you’re a member of something, a country club, a church, a social organization, there are certain benefits that go along with membership … and American Express is one of the best.
The American Express target market
The target market for these cards is someone who regularly spends a lot of money each month and has the ability to pay the bill in full. Additionally, the target market for these cards should want the fantastic benefits and services offered to American Express Card members.
So what’s the difference between most of the cards offered by American Express? Each card has a different set of benefits, rewards, and perks for card members and depending on which card you choose to apply for and use, you’ll have the ability to get a dizzying array of goodies from airline miles (one of THE most popular perks) to cash.
Popular American Express Cards
Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 30,000 bonus miles toward Award Travel when you spend $500 on the Card in the first three months from account opening
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95
- Check your first bag FREE – for up to 9 people on your reservation – on every Delta flight
Receive double miles on Delta purchases and 1 mile for all other eligible dollars spent
- Priority Boarding and 20% In–Flight Savings
- Apply Now for the American Express Gold Delta SkyMiles Card!
- Membership Rewards(R) bonus: 15K points, redeemable for select gift cards valued at $150, when you spend $1,000 in your first three months of card membership
- Membership Rewards(R) points multiply fast! Earn 3X points on airfare, 2X points on gas and groceries, 1X points on everything else
- Exclusive access to Gold Card Destinations and events – Enjoy special travel packages and amenities at hotels worldwide, as well as select concerts, shows, major sporting events, and more, nationwide
- No annual fee for your first year – a $175 savings
- Get approved in 60-seconds.
- Apply Now for the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card
Blue Sky from American Express
- No annual fee!
- Travel rewards with no blackout dates or travel restrictions. Redeem with any airline, any car rental, any hotel – anytime
- Pay your bill all at once, or over time. It’s up to you.
- Blue Savings Program: big deals on big brands, all the time
- Rated “Best Airline Credit Card” by Card Ratings Consumer’s Choice Awards in 2010
- Get approved in 60-seconds
- Apply Now for Blue Sky from American Express(R)
TrueEarnings® Card from Costco and American Express
- American Express(R) Card and Costco Membership Card in one – with no annual fee for Costco members
- Cash back on the things you buy: 3% for the first $3,000 in annual gasoline purchases (1% thereafter), 2% for restaurants, 2% for travel, and 1% everywhere else, including Costco
- Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars in overall satisfaction by current TrueEarnings(R) Card members from Costco and American Express
- Apply Now for TrueEarnings(R) Card from Costco and American Express
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- 25,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend $1,000 during your first three months of Card membership
- GLOBAL Travel benefits: Priority Pass select airport club access, No Foreign Transaction Fees, Global Entry expedited U.S. immigration pass
- Up to $200 in Airline Fee Credits annually to cover incidental charges on your airline of choice, including checked–baggage fee
- 24/7 Platinum Card® Concierge service for assistance with reservations, travel, gifts, and more
- FINE HOTELS & RESORTS Program: exclusive upgrades and amenities at over 700 boutique, resort, and luxury hotels worldwide
- Apply for the Platinum Card(R) from American Express
Each of these American Express cards offers outstanding benefits … for a price. These cards carry an annual fee (except Blue Sky from American Express) so be sure and apply for that particular card if you’s rather not pay an annual fee, though annual fees are waived for the first year on most of these cards. No one likes to pay an annual fee but remember that they ARE negotiable. The easiest time to negotiate these fees are when the card comes up for renewal, so mark your renewal date on your calendar and brush up on your negotiating skills! Each card has its individual fees and policies so please refer to the card agreement for more details.