One of the more frustrating things about attending college is the incredible cost of textbooks. Students, especially freshmen, are generally cash cows for local bookstores as students hurry to buy the correct textbook for each class. Wait until the class starts and you may have to buy a new textbook rather than that used one for 25% off. THEN, when you attempt to re-sell that new $150 textbook back to the bookstore (a textbook you may not have even used), you’re offered $8 … unless there’s a “new edition” and then you’re offered nothing but forever have a large 600 page paperweight on Basic Chemistry. Doesn’t come in too handy when you’re a business major.
I wish CollegeBookRenter.com had been around when I was attending college. I was essentially renting my textbooks anyway since I always sold them back to the bookstore at the end of each semester (unless there was a new edition). The new edition problem wouldn’t have even been an issue if I had rented them. By renting I could’ve save some serious money since the average student saves 60% or more (up to 85%) by renting textbooks rather than buying them. Plus I could’ve waited until the class started to see if I needed the book at all (some professors use the textbook listed for the class extensively, some minimally, and some not at all).
What is the rental process with CollegeBookRenter.com?
After you set up your account, it’s a simple matter of selecting your textbook using either an ISBN, the title, or the author. Once you find your book you’ll need to choose from three different rental periods – 60 days, 90 days, or 130 days. Next the textbook to your cart and click on the Checkout button, following all the prompts for your shipping and billing addresses along will your payment information. Once all of that has been completed, you’ll be able to review all of your personal and payment information before confirming your order. Once you have confirmed your order, you’ll see a receipt page. That same receipt will be emailed to your account.
If you find you’re going to need your book longer than the rental period you originally specified, extending your rental is also easy. Simply log in to your account, select the book you wish to extend, and click on the Extend Rental button. You’ll see a drop down menu that lets you choose how long you want to keep the book, and then continue to the checkout.
What about shipping costs with CollegeBookRenter.com?
Books are shipped within 1-2 business days and you’re offered 4 options.
1. Standard Service
Cost is $2.99 + $1.99 each additional book per order (5-14 Shipping Days).
2. Premium Ground Service
$5.99 + $1.99 each additional book per order (4-8 Shipping Days)
3. Priority Service
$9.99 + $4.99 each additional book per order (2-3 Shipping Days)
4. Priority Plus Service
$15.99 + $9.99 each additional book per order (1-2 Shipping Days)
What about returning books to CollegeBookRenter.com?
You just can’t beat free return shipping. CollegeBookRenter.com returns are simple, fast and free. Just log into your account, print the FREE return label, and send it back.
Get more information on a private student loan through a Credit Union HERE!
A few caveats
- Don’t write in your rented textbooks. A small amount of highlighting is acceptable however.
- When you return textbooks, make certain you ONLY send back the books you listed on your packing slip. They won’t send back any books sent to them in error.
- If you lose you book, you’ll be charged its full list price so treat your books as assets.
- If you book is damaged, you’ll be charged full list price. Books are thoroughly inspected when returned to make certain your book. Examples of damage include:
- Torn or missing pages
- Damaged cover or spine/binding
- Stains on or inside the textbook
- Water damage
- Writing or excessive highlighting
- Any other damages that would determine the book unusable
- If your textbook is not returned and or a UPS Return Label has not been generated by the last day of your rental period, then your credit card will be charged a 15 day extension fee.
- If your textbook is not returned and/or a UPS Return Label has not been generated by the last day of your 15-day extension, then your credit card will be charged the list price of the textbook minus the 15-day extension fee. You will be notified via email of these charges!
Not going to college but know someone who is? Gift Certificate!
Even if you’re not planning to attend college anytime soon, chances are pretty good that you know someone who is. Consider a gift certificate from CollegeBookRenter.com and help them save.