- The Wisdom Journal - http://www.thewisdomjournal.com/Blog -
Paycheck To Paycheck Isn’t A Life
Posted By Ron On August 25, 2011 @ 1:00 AM In Budgets,Personal Finance | Comments Disabled
I recently read about a CareerBuilder survey where 42 percent of Americans admit living paycheck to paycheck with around 21 percent admitting to paying late or missing at least one bill payment in the last year. Of those earning over six figures, six percent find themselves in the same boat – living paycheck to paycheck just to make ends meet – and many admit that they don’t make it without credit of some sort.
I know. I’ve lived that way before myself. It stinks. Paycheck to paycheck living is a recipe for financial disaster, lost sleep, strained marriages, and stress.
I broke MY personal paycheck to paycheck cycle by doing two things:
I may not be able to help you find that better job (though you should read The Inner View of Your Interview ) but when it comes to reducing expenses by budgeting , I have a lot of experience in that arena.
YNAB  is short for You Need A Budget and it’s by far the best way to gain control of your finances. No, it isn’t designed to help you track your investments, nor is it for handling multiple IRA’s or your secret offshore bank account. What it IS going to help you do is break the paycheck to paycheck death spiral that chokes the life out of you. And they have an iPhone app! Sweet!
What YNAB  will help you do is prioritize. It will help you decide between things that are important to you and things that aren’t. It’s always funny to me how things that aren’t important to me have a way of rearing up and DEMANDING attention … and dollars.
The philosophy behind this award winning software is why it’s better than any other and that philosophy can be summed up in their 4 Rules of Budgeting:
1. Stop living paycheck to paycheck. You’ll be blown away by how their system eliminates “paycheck-to-paycheck” from your vocabulary and your life. I’ve never seen anything quite like it.
2. Giver every dollar a job. This is what’s referred to as “zero based budgeting” and it turns the traditional budgeting  method on it’s head — completely upside down. Zero based budgeting  traditionally is time-consuming and exhaustive but NOT with YNAB. The software does all the work.
3. Prepare for the rain. You know the day is coming when you’re going to need a lot of cash to cover an emergency, a semi-annual insurance premium, or new tires for the car, so YNAB  helps you prepare for those events.
4. Roll with the punches. Even with the most sophisticated and thorough planning, you can overspend in a category, so YNAB  spreads that overage across the next month’s budget  where it can be absorbed more readily. YNAB  designed their system with a buffer to help you cover accidental overspending.
That last rule, “Roll with the punches,” is what really motivates so many people to use YNAB .Budgets aren’t meant to be written in stone. Sometimes you DO have family drop in from out of town, sometimes you DO need to buy a new pair of work shoes, sometimes you DO have to fly out of town to a funeral. Surprises happen, and when they do, most people who are already struggling to live within a budget  just give up, or fall woefully behind. YNAB  helps you get over those challenges in an intuitive, simple, and effective way.
YNAB  doesn’t encourage you to give up saving for an emergency fund. No, you still fund your savings for emergencies and at the same time, all those little leaks that previously went unnoticed are plainly visible. Money you know about can be re-captured – and that is the beauty of YNAB.
Article printed from The Wisdom Journal: http://www.thewisdomjournal.com/Blog
URL to article: http://www.thewisdomjournal.com/Blog/paycheck-to-paycheck-isnt-a-life/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 budgeting: http://www.thewisdomjournal.com/Blog/go/budget.php/
 The Inner View of Your Interview: http://www.thewisdomjournal.com/Blog/products/the-inner-view-of-your-interview
 Image: http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=369759&u=290897&m=29822&urllink=&afftrack=
 YNAB will help you BREAK the paycheck to paycheck cycle. Click HERE for more information.: http://www.youneedabudget.com?AFFID=25828
 YNAB: http://www.youneedabudget.com/?AFFID=25828
 The Wisdom Journal: http://www.thewisdomjournal.com/Blog/
 subscribe today: http://www.thewisdomjournal.com/Blog/welcome.php/
 Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/wisdomjournal/
 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Wisdom-Journal/147054648679421
 »crosslinked«: #
Copyright © 2008 The Wisdom Journal. Some rights reserved.