The PerkStreet checking account has the highest rewards program for just about any checking account (are you getting those rewards?) but those rewards come back to you only with “non-PIN debit card purchases.” What does this mean?
When you use your PerkStreet debit MasterCard, many retailers will ask you “debit or credit?” To get rewarded for non-PIN debit card purchases, you must select CREDIT. PerkStreet will reward you only when you use your debit card as a credit card. If you are told by a merchant that you have to enter your PIN, simply press CANCEL and you should be given the option to process the transaction as credit instead. You will probably be required to sign a credit slip or possibly enter the mailing address zip code for your account.
A non-PIN debit card purchase occurs with any transaction that does not require you to enter your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Non-PIN transactions that qualify for PerkStreet rewards could include:
- Using your card to make a purchase and signing the receipt.
- Swiping your card at a keypad, selecting “credit” and then signing the receipt.
- Using your card to make a purchase on the Internet, by phone, or at a gas pump.
- Making automatic bill payments with your PerkStreet MasterCard, such as your phone bill, utility bill, or Internet service provider.
Remember that these non-PIN transactions are processed by MasterCard but are still deducted directly from your PerkStreet checking account.
Why non-PIN purchases offer rewards
When you use a debit card with your PIN, the transaction fees are very low, perhaps as low as one half of one percent (0.05%). The fees that result from using your debit card as a credit card can be much higher, perhaps three percent or more. Those fees are what make debit card rewards possible and why MANY big banks are aching to begin charging debit card fees.
But don’t feel bad for the merchant. Those fees are usually budgeted and they agreed with their card processor to pay those fees, so GET YOUR REWARDS by signing up for your own PerkStreet checking account today!
What are the advantages of a PerkStreet Checking Account?
Well, let’s get started:
- You can earn unlimited 1% cash back almost anywhere you use your card on those non-pin purchases
- Earn 2% cash back at some of the most popular retailers including Walmart and Amazon.com
- You earn PowerPerks. With PowerPerks, you’ll get up to 25% cash back on special offers from leading brands picked for you weekly
- Redeem your PowerPerks at more than 35,000 leading retail and restaurant locations for free, or use 2 perks to redeem directly to your account.
- Get an extra bonus for paying with a PerkStreet friend if the two of you go shopping together
- Stay out of debt – it’s a debit card, not a credit card, so you don’t have to worry
- Join a family of families sharing money-saving tips and tricks for staying debt-free
- Start earning without leaving your bank – money transfers are free
- No credit check. No annual fee. It’s free to get and free to use.
PerkStreet REALLY is the best checking account I have found. There are other checking accounts that are easy to use, but I’ve not found ANY that offer the rewards and perks you can get as a PerkStreet customer.